You will have seen media reporting of the Coronavirus situation and may be aware of the measures being taken by the UK government. I know that some colleagues, especially those who interact with members of the public during their work, may have questions about the situation. Please use this communication to explain the situation to all our colleagues.
- You will have heard of the Wuhan novel coronavirus; this is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China. A coronavirus is a type of virus. As a group, coronaviruses are common across the world. Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
- Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
- As of 26 January, a total of 52 UK tests have concluded, of which 52 were confirmed negative and 0 positive.
- There are currently no confirmed cases in the UK or of UK citizens abroad, and the risk to the public is low. The government is monitoring the situation closely and will continue to work with the World Health Organization (WHO) and international community.
- Wilson James’ Operational Support Centre (OSC) is monitoring the situation and Wilson James will continue to follow government guidance closely. If the situation changes, we will tell you.
- Should I wear protective equipment such as gloves or a face mask at work? The government has not advised the wearing of protective equipment except for healthcare professionals dealing with suspected cases. There are currently no confirmed cases in the UK or of UK citizens abroad, and the risk to the public is low. The government is monitoring the situation closely and Wilson James will follow government guidance.
- Is the government taking any action at sites where Wilson James has a presence? The government has introduced advanced monitoring at airports with direct flights from China. A team of public health experts has been established at Heathrow Airport in addition to existing medical staff.
- Where can I find more information? The most authoritative information is on the Public Health England website (or equivalent website within other parts of the UK).
Chief of Staff